Last month James Jenkins, a man who witnessed the autopsy of President John F. Kennedy 50 years ago, spoke with JFK researchers in Dallas.
Doug Horne, former ARRB analyst.
One of them was Doug Horne, who served as chief analyst for military records for the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) in the 1990s. Horne thinks Jenkin’s story is important and I agree.
Jenkins’s story certainly can’t be dismissed as more speculation from a conspiracy theorist. In fact, Jenkins’s account is eyewitness testimony that must be acknowledged by any serious student of the JFK story.
Two members of an independent civilian review panel that oversaw the release of the government’s JFK assassination files say the CIA misled them about the records of deceased undercover officer George Joannides.
In a piece for the Boston Herald, Judge John Tunheim, former chair of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) and Thomas Samoluk, former deputy director of the ARRB, said this: Read more
In yesterday’s Boston Globe, Bryan Bender reported that Judge John Tunheim, former chair of a civilian review panel in charge of declassifying the government’s JFK assassination records, has called on the CIA to release all of its files on the late George Joannides, a deceased CIA officer involved in the events of 1963 and its confused investigatory aftermath. Read more
Amid the glut of 50th anniversary JFK coverage, NPR’s interview with Jeremy Gunn, former general counsel for the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) from 1994 to 1998, stands out as one of the best recent pieces of journalism on the case of the murdered president.
Gunn is a quality witness. While largely unknown to both mainstream reporters and JFK conspiracy theorists, he was among the first people to see the vast body of JFK records made public by the ARRB in the mid-1990s.
Federal Judge John Tunheim will speak Thursday in Stillwater, Minnesota, about the challenge of declassifying government records related to the death of President Kennedy, according to the Forest Lake Times. It is rare opportunity to hear from the leader of the last effort to force the government to make public long-secret JFK records. Read more
In this balanced, if breathless, 1998 History Channel video entitled “Missing Files,” we learn what the government sought to hide from public view. The approach is skeptical without crazy conspiracy mongering.
Operation Northwoods was a Pentagon plan to provoke a U.S. invasion of Cuba in 1963 through the use of deception operations. First disclosed by the Assassination Records Review Board in 1997, the Northwoods plans are among the most significant new JFK documents to emerge since Oliver Stone’s “JFK” movie.
Operation Northwoods envisioned U.S. intelligence operatives staging violent attacks on U.S. targets and arranging for the blame for the mayhem to fall on Fidel Castro and his communist government. The idea, wrote one planner, was to creates a “justification for U.S. intervention in Cuba,” by orchestrating a crime that placed the U.S. government “in the apparent position of suffering defensible grievances from a rash and irresponsible government” in Cuba.
These plans included the use of violence on American soil against American citizens.
Federal judge John Tunheim, chair of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) from 1994 to 1998, said last week the government has released virtually all of its assassination-related records–a claim contradicted by a publicly available online database of the National Archives.
This is a story you can fact check yourself. Read more