Federal judge John Tunheim, former chair of the Assassination Records Review Boad
[Reposted from December 2013, this news report is relevant to the oral arguments in Morley v. CIA that will be heard in Washington federal court on March 19, 2018.]
Two members of an independent civilian review panel that oversaw the release of the government’s JFK assassination files say the CIA misled them about the records of deceased undercover officer George Joannides.
In a piece for the Boston Herald, Judge John Tunheim, former chair of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) and Thomas Samoluk, former deputy director of the ARRB, said this: Read more
Politico’s Bryan Bender follows up on WhoWhatWhy’s scoop about still-secret JFK records with a resounding “maybe.”
Asked whether there might be any significant revelations about Kennedy’s unsolved murder, Martha Murphy, head of the Archives’ Special Access Branch, told POLITICO last year, “I’ll be honest. I am hesitant to say you’re not going to find out anything about the assassination.”
The JFK Records Act of 1992 ordered that all of the files related to the federal inquiry into John F. Kennedy’s assassination be made public in 25 years. As the October 2017 deadline nears, POLITICO takes a look at what the files might tell us -– if we actually get to see them.
Bryan Bender of Politico digs deeper into the story of the 3,600 still-secret JFK files held by the National Archives, reporting that the withheld material includes records from the FBI and the National Security Agency. And he see indications that some federal agencies will continue to seek postponement of the records’ release past their scheduled release date of October 2017.
“The CIA has a long history of blocking congressional oversight of its activities. ‘I think there is a pattern,’ said John Prados, a senior fellow at the National Security Archive at George Washington University and author of ‘The Family Jewels: The CIA, Secrecy, and Presidential Power.'”
Ed Lopez, former JFK investigator, has some questions
“It was time to fight one last time to ascertain what happened to JFK and to our investigation into his assassination,” [Ed] Lopez, who is now the chief counsel for a school district in Rochester, N.Y., said in an interview.
He is joined in the effort by two other former investigators, researcher Dan Hardway and G. Robert Blakey, the panel’s staff director.
From the invaluable Bryan Bender at the The Boston Globe: “Some experts contend that the only way to ensure public access is for the president to give broader declassification powers to the National Archives.”
In yesterday’s Boston Globe, Bryan Bender reported that Judge John Tunheim, former chair of a civilian review panel in charge of declassifying the government’s JFK assassination records, has called on the CIA to release all of its files on the late George Joannides, a deceased CIA officer involved in the events of 1963 and its confused investigatory aftermath. Read more