Don Adams RIP: an FBI agent who didn’t buy the official theory

Don Adams, FBI agent

Don Adams, whose career as an FBI agent spanned 22 years, never really bought the official line of his own employer: that Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, assassinated President John F. Kennedy.

Adams, who died on June 14 at age 83 in Akron, Ohio, eventually wrote From an Office Building with a High-Powered Rifle (Trine Day, 2012), in which he argued that “the FBI’s investigation was compromised from the top down, beginning with FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.”

“I have learned that crucial evidence was withheld from me as an agent investigating a planned assassination of the president, just weeks before it actually took place,” Adams wrote.

“He never believed Lee Harvey Oswald was the shooter,” his son, Mark, a career police officer, told the Akron Beacon Journal. “One of his FBI assignments was to investigate a man [Joseph Milteer] who had threatened to assassinate the president who claimed Kennedy would be killed from an office with a high-powered rifle. He found out that the man was in Dallas when the president was shot, but was always puzzled as to why he had limited access to the man.”

In an interview with the Akron Beacon Journal published last year on the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, Adams, a former chief of the police force on which his son now serves, said he didn’t think Oswald killed President Kennedy and that he was a scapegoat in a conspiracy that reached the highest levels of government.

Adams recalled being shown the Zapruder film shortly after he was transferred to the Dallas FBI office in 1964 and, on seeing Kennedy’s hands go to his throat, remarking that the shot must have come from the front, not from the behind Kennedy’s limousine.

“Don, keep your comments to yourself,” he was told.

Former FBI Agent Don Adams on Joseph Milteer

14 comments

1. Mark Barsotti says:

I’m sure Prof McAdams (by the way, I value his – and others who support the WC – postings here, they make discussion of historical matters a vigorous give and take debate. Pro-conspiracy folk nattering solely among themselves makes for a boring Fox News-like echo-chamber; all one hears are their own opinions pinged back at them) would say, “Opinions are not evidence.” Very true. And the evidence shows, unquestionably, that even if the FBI “got it right,” doing so was pure happenstance, since the outcome of their investigation was dictated from Mr. Hoover’s desk before the bodies were cold, so no other conclusion was possible.

• Gerry Simone says:

OTOH, there’s a lot of pro-WC commentary that is spin designed to obfuscate. The more we see of this, the less believable the WCR becomes.

2. Additional Info. My book is an E-Book. I will gladly send a copy of only my book before my Editor edited and published it. Thank You!

• Dia Perry says:

I was dismayed to find Don Adams has passed away…
      I had a VERY strange incident as a teenager with a Mr. Rosier of Nahunta Georgia…admitted to being a Klansman and to a murder…I wonder if there is/was ANY connection between him and the Nahunta Klan group and Joseph Milteer…any insight?
      Dia Perry

3. Mark Barsotti says:

4. John McAdams says:

Checking this article:

We find this statement:

Adams also has a copy of a photo that he said shows Milteer in Dallas, watching Kennedy’s motorcade pass.

This was debunked long ago:

So how reliable is Adams?

• Gerry Simone says:

Despite the HSCA’s astounding analyses, it still looks like Milteer lol. (They say the photo is not that clear either, and who knows if he’s standing on something to help him look over the crowds).

• I would say that Don Adam’s as the investigator of Joseph Milteer, is familiar enough with him to make a positive ID of him in the crowd in Dallas.

This is a subjective call, despite the so-called “technical analysis” that McAdams leads us to, because at the very start it is admitted that the photo is too fuzzy and small to be positive. So They are guessing no less that Don Adams, they simply put it in technobabble.
      \\][//

5. Edward F Hellwig says:

I remember a series of articles in an adult male magazine called “OUI” by a Col. Prouty. It was about 6 issues long. I lost it first by divorce + after reordering the set, lost it due to the first floor of my house flooding but 2 things caught my attention 1.one shot missed by a mile (figuratively) + hit the curb ahead of the caravan + was repaired early the next morning by a work crew(they never work that fast) & 2.the way credible witnesses I believe 17 or more died of ‘natural causes’ or ‘accidents’ within so short a time as to be statistically impossible.

6. Elliott says:

Is it true that the govt will release the documents about jfk at another decade or two?

I’ve wondered about that, as well as why the secrecy needed to be used, why the American people could not be told the truth.

Elliott
    Baltimore MD

7. KM Gibbons says:

I personally knew Don Adams when he was assigned to the Akron office. His integrity was beyond reproach. He was an outstanding agent and even a better human being. I believe every word he has written. His fight against organized crime in the Cleveland-Akron area was relentless. RIP my friend.

8. Jim says:

We are writing a book my wife’s dad , go figure was in the mafia after interviewing his girlfriend we know he was connected to Johnson she even was at a poker table with johnson while warjac was in jail in short warjac was given fifty years he only did 4 the day he got out of prison a state rep and a big Galveston figure took him to con ally’s office and got all his rights restored in one day! What has this thug done to enjoy such a right.

9. Rodney says:

A man named John Elrod was walking carrying a suitcase across the railroad 2 blocks from the assassination and was arrested. He showed me his name in one of the tabloids in the store I owned. He said it was the only time he had seen his name in print. I asked him if that was him and he said yes. I asked my dad about it and he said yes he remembered John being arrested as a suspect in the Kennedy assassination. I went back to John and talked with him. He explained the relationship between him, Oswald, Jack Ruby, his brother in law named Martinez (who lived in Dallas). His brother in law was connected to organized crime. You can see where this is going. I asked John if it was a conspiracy, he would never answer. He also was on a national investigative talk show to tell all about what really happened and he got scared a short time into the show and walked off and wouldn’t answer any more questions. The show was being filmed in his home that was on the back side of a small island along the Mississippi River. John died an alcoholic never coming forth with what I believe was the real truth about the Kennedy assissination.